Compliments of the Yuletide season to our worldwide audience on the Sharing Education and Learning for Life, (SELL) Foundation blog. The SELL Resource team is happy to announce to you in this blog that more young adults are experiencing the SELL Programme. Only in 2012, we recorded over a thousand participants and this year from our records so far, 2281 young people (934 female and 1347 male) have been reached. This shows that the efforts the SELL Facilitator trainees and the Resource team are putting in delivering workshops to youth groups is yielding good results. This results I am talking about is not only in numbers but also qualitative impact. Some of the previous blogs carried testaments of how the experience of the SELL Programme has transformed young people. When young adults say things like;
- “I no longer see the people of the other community as enemies,………”
- “Women and children are equal human beings as men and should be equally respected”.
- “Now I am learning to know myself, I know what I can do and I will learn to develop my potential”.
- “The education of the woman does not end in the kitchen……….”
- “The earth holds us all, it is in our hands to care for it”.
The highlight of events that took place this year are as follows;
We started the year 2013 with a SELL workshop with clients of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency NDLEA, Rehabilitation Centre, Bauchi, the following week was a training of mentors of SELL. Within the year, the Resource team and the SELL Volunteer facilitators delivered the SELL Programme among various youth groups in different communities within Nigeria and in Kumasi, Ghana. Apart from the mentoring training mentioned earlier, we were also involved in community trainings of facilitators both in Nigeria and in Kumasi, Ghana. We held two meetings with leaders of the community teams at the SELL office in Bauchi. A yearly event of the SELL Foundation called Annual General Reflection took place as well in April. An input on Islam was also given to an audience of invited guest who came to celebrate with one of the resource persons of the Foundation, Fr. Leo Traynor on the occasion of his Silver Jubilee as a priest. The input on Islam was given by Rev. Sister Katleen McGarvey who is an expert in that field. Lest I forget, the SELL Resource Team Building, evaluation and looking into the future programme also took place. To be candid we had some awesome moments of work this year, thanks to all who made it possible.
I Know that I have appreciated all and sundry, but I will not fail to mention specifically all our benefactors of the SELL programme; you who always care to log on to our website to read our blogs, the beneficiaries as they always yearn for the SELL Programme.
Remember I said we have a few Programmes before the end of the year;
- In Kumasi, Ghana the SELL Facilitators there are going to deliver the SELL Programme in series, I mean consecutively for the three Sundays that remain in this year. The workshop will be delivered to the youths at Akatago community in Kumasi, Ghana, we wish them the best with that.
- Also from Kumasi, the Facilitators of the SELL Programme there are having their end of year meeting on the 14th December, 2013. The Resource Team again wish you a wonderful and happy deliberation.
- Just last Thursday, 12th December, 2013, a SELL Workshop on Community Building took place with the National Youth Service Corp Members, NYSC, Servicom Community Development group, Bauchi. NYSC, is a mandatory one year Scheme in Nigeria that offers young Nigerian graduates to serve their fatherland. Mary and Beji members of the Resource team facilitated the workshop. Corp members that took part in the programme were 18. I ceased an opportunity to chat with one of the participants during their break time and the lady said it was one of the best workshops she attended during her service year; they all look forward to another time with SELL.
Communication Desk, SELL Foundation.