The Jubilee activities were in three phases; there was the dialogue with Islam on Wednesday 15th May, 2013. The Dialogue with Islam imput was an eye opening event, the facilitator, Rev. Sr. Dr. Kathleen McGarvey of the Women Interfaith Council Kaduna, Nigeria, gave a good exposition on why some non-Muslims see Islam to be a threatening religion. She point participants to the positives in Islam not the perceived ideas most non-Muslims have. On Thursday 16th, the Jubilee mass was celebrated at All Saints Parish in Wuntin Dada Bauchi, Bauchi State Nigeria. The Mass was indeed splendid as it was grace by many friends of the Celebrant; non – Religious, non – Catholics and Religious members (Rev. Fathers and Sisters). After the mass was a simple reception which was held in his honour, people gave beautiful speeches about Leo. Like the one from Fr. Tommy St. Patrick’s Missionary Society (SPMS) who said “Leo is different because he is simple and a friend of the poor, he is also a man of the people”.
The saying goes; photo speaks more than a thousand words, so stay back and enjoy some of the photographs of Leo’s silver jubilee.
Before I end this blog today, I will like to give you a rundown of the SELL workshops that happened in May, 2013.
- At Miya Community in Bauchi State Nigeria, the Bauchi SELL Team in Bauchi delivered the Wisdom of Traditions unit of the programme and had 18 participants. The workshop took place on the 10-11th May, 2013
- On the 17-18th May, another Wisdom of Traditions unit of the SELL Programme held at Kanoyel. Kanoyel is one of the suburbs of Gombe town, Gombe State, Nigeria. 26 young people took part in the programme and the programme was facilitated by the Bauchi SELL Facilitators.
- Members of the SELL Team in Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria, delivered the Self Awareness Unit of the SELL Programme. The Programme took place at Sabon Lugbe in Abuja on the 24-25th May 2013 and recorded 27 participants
- Still on the 24-25th May 2013, another SELL Workshop took place at Hwolshe Community in Jos, Plateau State Nigeria. The unit of the SELL Programme that was delivered by the SELL Jos Team was the Leadership unit. A large number of 75 Participants took part in the programme.
- The third workshop that happened on the weekend of 24-25th May was for the youths of Railway community in Bauchi. The workshop had 30 participants, the unit of SELL that was shared there was the Justice unit.
- And lastly for the weekend of 24-25th May, the SELL Team at the Lutheran Church in Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria also had a SELL Workshop with the youths of their church, 31 young people took part in the programme.
- A town in Taraba State, Nigeria Called Mutum Biyu experienced the SELL Programme on the weekend of 31st May - 1st June, the programme was facilitated by the Jalingo SELL Community Trainees and the unit that was shared there was the Justice unit of SELL. Participants at the programme were 38.
Communication Desk, SELL Foundation