The report covers meetings, workshops, achievements, challenges among other activities.
Members of the Sharing Education and Learning for Life (SELL), Team in Kumasi, shared amongst themselves various roles. The sharing of roles is to engage everyone, and to necessitate the discharge of duties effectively. Various roles on the team include; Coordinators, Administrative team roles, Programme Coordinators, Communication team and Motivation Team.
The Kumasi Team has two stations, each with a unique assignment to reach out to young people within and outside of their locality. The two Stations are ‘Kroforom’ and ‘Adukrom’.
The Kroforom Station is represented by four facilitators from that area.
The Adukrom station is made up of 17 facilitators from the Adukrom area.
The whole group or team meets once every three months and the Adukrom team meets on second Saturday of every month.
SELL FACILITATORS TRAINING---AUGUST 1ST—10TH
Members of the Kumasi SELL Team Participated in the last facilitators training which was done in the Month of August on 1st to 10th.
The Units Facilitators in training undertook were the Justice and Community Building units of the SELL Programme.
The Trainers were the SELL Resource Team from Nigeria.
WORKSHOP AT SMA SHS 15TH- 16TH JUNE
The Facilitators of the SELL Programme in Kumasi engaged in a workshop with the Student Leaders of SMA Senior High School. They were taken through the Leadership unit of the Programme. A total of 26 students attended the Programme, and their participation was very encouraging.
WORKSHOP AT ST. PAUL CHURCH, ADUKROM
The newly elected leaders of the Parish Youth Council were taken through the Leadership unit of SELL giving much emphasis on the feedback aspect in Joharis window Session. 27 people made it to the Programme.
- Most of the members are making it in the academic ladder; some are either in the university or training colleges pursing various courses. Thanks to SELL for helping us understand ourselves and that we can be who we are if we think and make the right choices in life.
- The Kumasi Team has become very visible not only in their localities but beyond as they are trusted to facilitate Programmes for young people.
- Most members of the SELL Team have taken leadership roles in most organization and associations they belong to and from the feedback they are getting, they are doing well.
- Two members on the Kumasi SELL team Charity and Mary got married, Charity’s was in December 2012 and Mary wedding was in February 2013, few others are in the pipeline.
- Time: the major constraint is combining personal commitment with the Programmes of SELL.
- Resource: both financial and material resources for running the SELL Programme in Kumasi, still remains a challenge.
- To establish an income generating venture to source funds for running the Programme.
- To go outside our normal timetable to advance the cause of the SELL Programme
- To be time conscious as possible.
- The team is also looking forward to the support of the SELL Resource Team and all friends of the Programme for their moral and material support.
First and foremost, the Team is thankful to Almighty God for His guidance and protection through the year.
To the backbone of the Programme in Kumasi, Rev. Fr. Augustine Ndah S.M.A for his advice and financial support and we pray God replenishes that pocket the money comes from in ten thousand folds.
The Kumasi SELL Team is also grateful to the SELL Resource team in Nigerian for their words of encouragement and wisdom that has sustained the team.
Long Live Ghana! Nigeria!! Long Live the SELL Programme!!!
The SELL Resource Team are very proud of the Kumasi SELL team for their zeal and interest in the SELL Programme and for having the enthusiasm to share it among themselves and other young people. The SELL Resource Team will continue to support the Kumasi Team in this endeavour. Special thanks goes to members of the Kumasi team; Wisdom Adatsi (Administrative team member) and Evans J. Barnes (team Coordinator) who compiled and certified this report.
SELL RESOURCE TEAM RETREAT
Retreat is a time for withdrawal, a moment to move back, leave your normal routine and take a time to reflect. It was indeed a needed opportunity by the SELL Resource team to take some time away from work and look back. On the 22nd – 26th March 2013, we had a retreat at the Centre for Renewal in Jos, Plateau State Nigeria. This spiritual journey was guided by a guru in the field – Rev. Fr. Pat Murphy, a priest of the St. Patrick’s Missionary Society SPMS. Fr. Pat Murphy guided us last year 2012 and we thank God for having him to support us again this year 2013. I must say the retreat has helped my spirituality as other team members will also say the same. Thanks to Fr. Pat for his continuous moral support to us.
On a sad note, we received the news of an attack by the Islamic Radical Sect group; Boko Haram in one of the Target areas of our work. The attack was on March 25th 2013 at a town Known as Ganye which is also the capital of Ganye Local Governmet. We also learnt that a member of the SELL in Ganye Jennifer lost her Dad in the attack. We pray eternal repose on his soul and the soul of the faithful departed rest in peace. We sympathize with Jennifer and her family and the entire Ganye community especially those that love ones. To read more on the attack in Ganye, follow the link below; http://www.cananusa.org/index.php/campaigns/news/300-boko-haram-issues-state-pardon-and-frees-all-inmates-in-ganye-prison-adamawa-state.html
If you are conversant with the 2013 Programme of the SELL Foundation as it is laid out well in the foundations website, you will notice that 3rd -7th April 2013 has been marked for the Annual Refresher and AGM. This Programme actually starts on the 4th – 7th April 2013, the slight change in date came due to other realities that we have to give attention to. Participants for this Event will be all SELL Area Facilitators and members of the SELL Resource team. In our next blog, you shall have a report of this Programme.
Stay with us on this column, see you again next time.
Communication Desk, SELL Foundation